Teaching Unit for Primary Grades K-3
GENERAL AIMS OF UNIT
1. To acquaint young children in Alaska with local Tlingit culture.
2. To develop an appreciation and awareness of artifacts, e.g. totem poles, dancing robes and blankets.
3. To develop awareness that insignia Tlingits use are very old and have important special meaning.
4. To develop interest in learning more about Tlingit heritage and culture.
5. To encourage use of books in finding information.
6. To develop closer communication between home and school by bringing artifacts to school; by parent participation in teaching Tlingit works, dance and handcraft.
7. To acquaint children with local community resources which can enrich
learning experiences e.g. museum, library, totem poles, visit to local
home where artifacts may be seen.